RE: question about usage

Chris,

You can include, as you rightly suggest, a template (dummy) in a
xf:instance that you use as your source for an insert into your 'main'
instance document. The xf:insert action in XForms 1.1 lets you define
the source for the insert using the origin attribute. You'd also need to
use the instance() function to point to the 'template' instance.

A quick example:

<xf:insert	context="instance('entry')"
		nodeset="atom:category"

origin="instance('categories')/atom:category[index('tagSelector')]"/>

The 'entry' instance document is an atom:entry, the source for the
insert (origin) is the nth (according to the index of an xf:repeat
selection) atom:category element in the 'categories' instance document.
The target is the node-set binding to atom:category elements in the
'entry' instance. When no categories exist in the entry the insert
location node becomes the parent atom:entry.

Regards

Philip Fennell