RE: Questions regarding @incremental

Hi Dion,

The difference between incremental equals "true" and "false" is the timing when the UI control commits its changes to the instance AND sends its Value change events (as explained in 4.6.1 and 4.6.3).

In short when incremental is "false" the UI control commits its data to the instance AND sends its Value change events only when both of the following two conditions are met:
  - the user changed the value of a UI control
  - the control is activated or the focus moves away from the form control

When incremental is "true" the UI control commits its data to the instance AND sends its Value change events 'more frequently'. Here we need to distinguish between two groups of controls. The first group contains the input, secret, textarea, range, and upload Controls those controls may update the instance AND send the events at implementation dependent intervals when the user is changing the value of the UI control (for example an implementation may choose to update the instance AND send the events when the user pauses typing for x ms or when he typed n-characters in an input control). The second group of UI controls contains the select and select1 Controls for those controls the implementation should update the instance AND send the events when the selection is interactively changed.

I hope that this e-mail clarifies what the difference is between incremental "true" and "false" and what the impact on instance update and dispatching of the Value change events is. If my e-mail doesn't answers all your questions, or if you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me and the WG.

Regards,

Nick Van den Bleeken
R&D Manager

Phone: +32 3 821 01 70