Re: visualizing an instance

Laszlo,

Clear drawback of #1 is that you have to modify the XForms. Also,
fields such as xforms:select will require more complex XPath
expressions to show the label associated with the selected item.

I usually prefer solution #2: mark the instance as "read-only" so that
all controls do not allow input. Note that since readonly-ness is
inherited, this can be done with a single bind on the root element of
your instance:

   <xforms:bind nodeset="instance('my-instance')" readonly="true()"/>

In Orbeon Forms, we have, in addition, a page-wide configuration
property which allows showing all readonly controls not as grayed-out
but with a nicer appearance, making the page ready to be printed or
saved as HTML.

-Erik

http://www.orbeon.com/