Re: xf:output, @mediatype and @value

I had first thought that perhaps it was a reasonable extension, but then I
realized that it amounted to having the mediatype attribute controlling
how we interpret the data type of the value attribute result.  I think
this is how we ended up not doing it in the first place.  The point is
that if mediatype an always present property of an output, then the
default when the attribute is not specified would be text/plain.  Then,
we'd be saying that if the mediatype is text/plain, then the result of
value is a string of text.  Good so far.  If mediatype is image/*, then
the result of value is interpreted as xsd:anyURI.  OK, now what if the
mediatype is text/html?

So, this can go on the discussion list for 1.2, but I suspect we will be
unable to avoid an articulation of the data type distinct from the
mediatype.  Further, this can also be done in a manner that is inline with
an "on the glass" (attribute decoration) approach by simply using a
separate attribute, e.g.

<output mediatype="image/*" datatype="anyURI" value=" concat(some
expression, '.png') "/>

The extra attribute would make the "extension" a lot more palatable, I
believe.

The issue of simultaneous use of single node binding and value attribute
on output has also come up, and the group decided not to do that for some
reason.  I think it was that it was late in the 1.1 schedule, there was an
easy way to do the same thing by just putting the output in a group, and
there was a bit of a feeling that it might be too much special case
behavior for output.  In my view, the special case is already there in the
fact that output has a value.  Still, we would have to think about the
ramifications a bit more, e.g. receiving xforms-value-changed when the
value does not change, impact of evaluation ref on the eval context of the
value, etc.

Will put it on the group agenda.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: