Re: xf:submission/@serialization="none" and GET request URLs

Hi Philip,

Although it is not written correctly in 11.9.1, I would also have thought
it reasonably obvious that putting the question mark was part of the "get"
serialization of tag value pairs such that if you asked for no
serialization you would get neither the tag value pairs nor the thing
which separates them from the rest of the URL.

I am also pretty sure the discussion of serialization="none" specifically
included the statement that in this case the URL would be unaltered, so I
think it is a spec error in 11.9.1.

Indeed, if one looks at the second example, it is clear that a spurious
question mark showing up at the end of the URL in the file: case would be
problematic.

I also find the text for attaching the question mark to be a bit bizarre
because it says that if the URL already contains a question mark then the
separator symbol will be appended.  Do you (or does anyone else) happen to
know what the possible purpose of that would be?  Since it is a separator
for the tag-value pairs, why put one first? And it surely seems hacky to
do it only if the URL already ends in question mark, right?

So, we'll put these issues onto next week's telecon agenda.

Thanks,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: