Re: Loan Application Form Example based on the XForms Simplified Syntax

Hi Thomas,

This is great...nice work.

A few things on your notes:

On point 2, I don't think we need a switch. The idea has always been
that we are dealing with is still an HTML form, but that we're giving
it an XForms 'interpretation'. So if I write this:

  <form action="blah">
  </form>

the normal HTML behaviour is to request the URL "blah" and replace the
current form with it.

We're not changing that behaviour; all we're saying is that you could
use different 'words' to describe that behaviour, and in XForms that
could be represented by:

  <submission method="get" resource="blah" replace="all" />

So we're seeking to 'map' HTML form behaviour to XForms form
behaviour, since that then makes it easy to add further XForms
behaviour.

On point 4 about label, the way you have done it is _exactly_ how it
will have to be done. :)

This is because current browsers don't allow children of <input>, so
neither of these are possible:

  <input id="name" name="name" type="string" default="Joe Q.
Public">Name: </input>

  <input id="name" name="name" type="string" default="Joe Q. Public">
    <label>Name:</label>
  </input>

I think @for is a good solution, as it happens, and you'll notice that
we've started to use it with <xf:alert> in the Ubiquity XForms
library, and plan to use it for hint and other such elements.

By the way, the problem with the other alternative you list:

  <input id="name" label="Name :" name="name" type="string"
default="Joe Q. Public" />

is that it is difficult to internationalise; having an element is better.

--
Mark Birbeck, webBackplane

mark.birbeck@webBackplane.com

http://webBackplane.com/mark-birbeck