Re: question to implementors: handling of initial validation

The XForms implementation I am responsible for also behaves in this way,
which is according to spec.

Value changed and MIP events are intended to be dispatched by
xforms-refresh, which does not occur during the normal event lifecycle
that initializes a form.

I believe this question has occurred because of another problem that
occurs, which is that the spec does not seem to support having the events
go to controls after an instance replacement.
In [1], I make the case that the instance replacement problem is separate
from the needs of initialization, and I propose a simple fix for the
instance replacement problem. The fix seems like a minor correction to
reflect what most implementations are actually doing, i.e. I think the
wording got in the way just a bit, but implementations don't and aren't
supposed to generate events on startup.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2007May/0081.html

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Aaron Reed <aaronr@us.ibm.com>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
05/24/2007 01:23 PM

www-forms@w3.org
cc

Subject
Re: question to implementors: handling of initial validation

Hi Joern,

For Mozilla we handle the states via the model object.  And we don't
allow the state events (valid, invalid, readonly, etc) to be generated
until after xforms-ready has been dispatched to that model.  So even
though an alert will automatically handle the xforms-invalid,
xforms-out-of-range and xforms-binding-exception events that its parent
element can get, the element won't get the xforms-invalid or
xforms-out-of-range events until after xforms-ready.

If you care to look at it, the code is here:
http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/extensions/xforms/nsXFormsModelElement.cpp#1139

--Aaron