RE: repeats

When you say "all this complexion in design", would you mind giving an
example or being more specific.

I can only assume that you are continuing the thread from Jason and
therefore "all this complexion"
refers to the fact the question about using insert using a prototype from
initial instance data versus
using a prototype derived from the live running instance.

Also, your mail seems to suggest that this is complicated for you as an
implementer.

This is where your message gets confusing to me.  This is because it is
signficantly *easier* for the
implementer to obtain the insert node by simply obtaining the last node of
its nodeset or, 1.1, from
the node returned by the origin expression.

The original idea of taking an initial instance prototype proved
challenging to implement.  For
example, if your insert nodeset results in empty nodeset, you have no
nodes, right? Which means
you have no starting point to figure out how to get from a nodeset in live
data to a node in the
prototypical data.  It gets more fun when you try to figure out the
prototypical node to use when
you're dealing with an inner repeat on the K^th row of an outer repeat.

And then people started sending prepopulation data,e.g. here's where you
left your shopping cart.
When that happened, new shopping cart items were initialized based on the
last item in the cart
because that was the initial data referenced by the src or put in place by
the jsp or what have you.

So, it worked for toy forms, but not for generalized web applications.  We
fixed in in 1.0 to reflect
A) what implementers were doing anyway, and B) in favor of at least being
*able* to create
correct applications.  We fixed it further in 1.1 to make it easier for
the form author to express
the correct applications.

But our focus is on designing the language so that the features don't
break when they are used
in any but the most rigid and contained scenarios.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Workplace Forms Architect and Researcher
Co-Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/

"Francisco Monteiro" <monterro2004@tiscali.co.uk>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
11/03/2006 08:32 AM

<jeacott@hardlight.com.au>, "'www-forms'" <www-forms@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: repeats

As an author of a XForms implementation I am getting more confused every
day, all this complexion in design which should be simple brings me to a
comparison of XLink and we all know where XLink is used in anger (XBRL
)which is even more complicated than what it should really be!

Perhaps it's time to pack up

Kind Regards
Francisco

facileXForms - Really AJAX at heart