Capturing imagination, was RE: IBM Position Statement on XForms and Web Forms 2.0

Hi Francisco,

I would say that the excellent article that Eric just drew our attention
to has some demonstrates XForms capturing the imagination,

from the straightforward, like

"many die-hard HTML fanatics have been sufficiently convinced by XForms
capabilities to upgrade from their old favorite to XHTML so as to be able
to take advantage of XForms capabilties"

to the sublime, like

"XForms bears about as much resemblance to HTML forms as a Bengal tiger
has to a ferret."

I think you nail it squarely when you say we need to capture clients
imagination.  While we have already imagined how to smooth a migration
path for markup created with an on-the-glass design mindset, we need to be
more concrete and explicit about how that can be done so that even die
hard WF2 proponents will begin to imagine their markup as really just
exercising the default settings and implicit data model generation
capabilties of something much more sublime... XForms.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Product Architect/Research Scientist
Co-Chair, W3C XForms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/

"Francisco Monteiro" <monterro2004@tiscali.co.uk>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
08/30/2006 01:33 PM

<www-forms@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: IBM Position Statement on XForms and Web Forms 2.0

Hello John,

Thanks for this, in my view I see XForms and WF2 co-existing but not
XForms being a server side technology. The work I am undertaking right now
can be viewed as an exercise in how this functionality could be
beneficial. From what I see many organisation will go about with the
design of their own client side frameworks and if and when the W3C come
with something acceptable they would accept it as standards. Ask why did
XLink specification "fail", the specification was very sound but it did
not capture clients imagination.

Francisco
facileXForms - really AJAX at heart.