Re: id() function and schema types

In '7.5.1 Dynamic Dependencies' of XForms 1.0 SE (
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xforms-20060314/index-all.html#expr-dynamic-dependency)
you can read : '... Another dynamic dependency is any use of the id()
function, unless both the parameter to the function and the matching
attribute of type xsd:ID are fixed.  ...' doesn't this imply that schema
types (and specifically xsd:ID) are taken into account?

Regards,

Nick Van den Bleeken  -  Research & Development
Inventive Designers
Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210170
Fax: +32 - 3 - 8210171
Email: Nick_Van_den_Bleeken@inventivedesigners.com

www-forms-request@w3.org wrote on 04/26/2006 11:01:11 PM:

> [...]
> reasonable to assume that the new id() function would continue to
> ignore extra channels of ID
> information since it is still an XPath 1.0 function and since this
> is how all of our other functions and other features work.  However,
> it was also reasonable
> to assume that perhaps the new id function did have additional
> intelligence based on the reader's understandable analogy with the
> XPath 2.0 function
> we are modelling.  The existing spec info did not make an
> indication, which is why I added the editorial note to ask for it to
> be cleared up.
>
> So, for me the quicker 1.1 solution is to add the new feature in a
> way that is consistent with existing features (which means the new
> id() function
> would not understand xforms type) and then in the next xforms after
> 1.1 we already agreed to adopt XPath 2.0, which is where we have to make

> the tighter integration between xpath, xforms and xml schema.
>
> And the point after that is where calling it something other than
> id() makes a lot of sense to me so that we *don't* have the implied
> XPath 2.0 semantic to deal with.
>
> Cheers,
> John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
> Senior Product Architect/Research Scientist
> Co-Chair, W3C XForms Working Group
> Workplace, Portal and Collaboration Software
> IBM Victoria Software Lab
> E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/
>
> Blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/JohnBoyer
>

> "Mark Birbeck" <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
> Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
> 04/26/2006 09:37 AM

> <www-forms@w3.org>
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> id() function and schema types
>

> Hi all,
>
> I know that we agreed on the call that Leigh is going to do some work on
> this, but since I have a link to hand from some previous reading I
thought I
> might as well post it.
>
> On the call I was saying that ideally the 'context' for an XPath
expression
> would include the schema types that are 'in-scope', and that way, using
> bind/@type for things like ID or number would 'just work'.
>
> This is in fact exactly what has been done in XPath 2.0:
>
>  <http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#static_context>
>

> >From this I can therefore see a couple of choices (there may be
others):

>  * we *don't* use the name id() for the function, since once
>    a processor supports XPath 2.0 everything will just fall
>    out nicely anyway (as it would in say, XForms 2.0 if it
>    supports XPath 2.0);
>
>  * we define that in XForms 1.1, schema information
>    becomes part of the context for XPath expressions.
>
> Although I like the second solution, I think it is not consistent with
other
> situations where we have actually added functions (like
boolean-from-string
> and the time/date calculations), or require the use of a function (like
> needing to use contains() when we have a space-separated list) precisely
> get round the fact that XPath 1.0 is not schema aware).
>
> So my vote is that we shouldn't use the name id() for this function,
since
> it is going to have to do some 'hackery' if it is to make use of schema
> information to find ID values, when using the non-schema aware XPath
1.0.

> Regards,
>
> Mark
>

> Mark Birbeck