RE: Reminder for send comments and issues

I see.  It's like we need the context for the ::repeat-item CSS3
pseudo-element.

-----Original Message-----
From: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Mark Birbeck
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 11:48 AM
To: www-forms@w3.org
Subject: RE: Reminder for send comments and issues

Hi Leigh,

> So on the balance I'd say we don't need a no-arg version, just because

> the defaulting rules would be confusing.
> But if you or someone else says it's useful and clear, that's fine
> with me too.

Oops...sorry for causing confusion! That's not what I'm suggesting. I'll
retrace our steps.

My initial point (after your initial point...) was that your example was
just a special case of the more general problem that once you do
something to change the context you have no way to get back to a prior
context. You suggested getting round it in the specific example of
repeats by having available to you the node that is the current repeat
item, but in my view it would be more 'correct' (at least in the example
as you wrote it) to be able to know the context of the parent evaluation
context.

This was mainly because there are many other situations where this
problem
arises: the group example that I gave before; using itemsets; labels on
triggers; the @iterate attribute that David proposed, and so on.

So, my initial suggestion was to have a function that can get any level
of evaluation context. But after your comments I thought that actually,
most use cases seem to be covered by the ability to get the parent
context, and a very specifically named function like "parent-context()"
might be better.
This would leave the context() function free to take an ID as a
parameter--and *only* an ID--in the way that you suggested.

However, as far as I can see, this function wouldn't help your use case,
since I'm still sure that you need to be able to go back up the
hierarchy of contexts. The context() function would only give you the
evaluation context for the element with that ID, which is effectively
the context that the repeat is 'in', not the context that the repeat
'provides'.

Mark Birbeck
CEO
x-port.net Ltd.