RE: Is or isn't scripting needed, was RE: XForms vs. Web Forms

Hi Jim,

In my prior posts, I've come out in your camp with respect to
not bothering to standardize the what-wg material, in part
because I agree with you that if you can get 80%-ish of it in
a weekend, then it's not worth standardizing.  But also, I feel
it fractures the web to create two different "standards" for
the same things.  I find that the what-wg specs don't have
what it takes to eventually 'merge' the efforts in any kind of
clean way.  And it's problematic that some of the key features,
like repeating structures and submitting XML, are half-baked.

But you raise the interesting question of whether we 'need'
a new forms model at all.  The fundamental premise in developing
XForms is that we do need to upgrade the language of the web
to accommodate the use cases that have presented themselves in
the last dozen years.  The thing is that perhaps we mean 'need'
in a different sense than you do.

One does not 'need' anything beyond machine language to get a
computer to do its work.  So, why do we have more advanced
computer languages that provide object orientation, or
event-driven processing, or a declarative processing model?

The answer is that we create these constructs to manage the
complexity of creating larger, more sophisticated web applications
that are too difficult to write and maintain using the simpler
languages that we had before.

So, we aren't talking about need in the technical feasibility
sense so much as the practical feasibility sense.

You're right, we don't need a new forms model to continue to
write pizza order forms.  Will that be small, medium or large?
Would you like wings with that?  How about a 2-liter bottle of pop?

But what people are doing with the web, and what people want
increasingly to do on the web, are more complicated things that
they struggle to achieve or cannot achieve in script.

Let's do shopping carts that don't have to round-trip to the server
to add a row.

Let's do a table of insurance policies with lists of optional
components for each. Or a list of available resources with tasks
assigned to each, and metadata for each task. Or book authors
and books by each that are available for check-out. Or any other
imaginable nested table construct.

Let's do wizard-like front ends on tax forms, loan applications,
insurance enrolments, etc.

Let's submit XML to the server in the namespace and schema of the
consuming application so that we don't need a server-side transformer
with super-user access to talk to the real server-side apps and
the XML database.

Let's leverage the declarativeness of XML for expressing processing
requirements whereever possible because it means that design tools
can be created that *understand* more of what the form author is trying
to achieve.

Let's let form authors express business rules in a declarative fashion
because every time the computing industry offers a declarative mechanism
for doing something, computing power to the people grows exponentially
(to name a few, think of how many people were empowered by spreadsheets;
think of how many were empowered by being able to write HTML rather than C++).

So, in conclusion, is it true that the limitations of what one can
easily do today should define what it means to be a web developer?
Is it really true that the web is this brittle thing that cannot
grow in functionality even if its continually expanding base of users
envisions more sophisticated purposes than its original design permits?

Somehow, I just don't think that's reasonable.  Instead, I think it
is reasonable to believe that the debate right now is really just a
manifestation of growing pains for the web.

John Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Product Architect and Research Scientist
PureEdge Solutions Inc.