RE: Is or isn't scripting needed, was RE: XForms vs. Web Forms

Eric>If you can't be sure a form
>submission will come in with the same level of validation every time, you
>then must code your server side either to test for the presence of the
>validation facilities in the browser (more code) or not trust the client
>side validations and repeat them at the server side (more code, but
>required anyway if the above test fails).

Dharmesh>In secure e-commerce applications you can't trust what the client sends back so you have to re-validate the client data. With open source browsers and packet sniffers, change data going back to the server after it has left the "client" is possible, so server side validation is mandatory.

Hence here is one of those "real life" issues I don't think has been thought about when people talk about client side technologies. The advantage of server side form generation is that validation used to send to the client can also be re-executed by the server.

Also talk about script incompatibilities across browsers raises the issue that standards are in place but it is the vendors who "extend" them.........JavaScript, ECMAScript. So the questions is if plug-ins are all purely standard how do they compete as products?

Macromedia say that they plug-in is in over 80% of browsers, Java a similar amount, PDF......What percentage has XForms. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer 1 standards based technology, but as a software company we need to be commercial about placing bets on technology.