Re: XForms Myths Exposed - By Ian Hixie (Opera)

Right enough, I guess there is an issue with the accessibility of IT as
a discipline, as opposed to the accessibility of what we are creating:
the more accessible the fruits of a our labour, the cleverer the person
has to be to create it.

Mind you, it's maybe not all as bad you make out, maybe we just need a
good WYSIWG XForms tool for the masses. I would argue that scripting is
more arbitrary in nature, whereas XForms is more capable of being
accessible. It can't be as cut and dried as saying that any script can
be accessible so we don't really need XForms.

I still don't get how script helps with accessibility, ok maybe you can
build an html form were accessibility is not hindered, but is it helped?
Scripting by its very nature is arbitrary, whereas XForms is using
markup to convey some additional meaning to the user that scripting
can't do.

There's ubiquitous nature of dreamweaver rollovers or javascript
repositories for doing this and doing that. A lot of the people that use
scripts can't write any javascript even. This could be the case for
XForms too, a nice tool or sample form to drop into your site. This time
the form is more accessible but achieves the same objectives. I take
your point that accessibility may suffer, but will it not be better? At
least XForms can be validated, so these errors (or inaccessiblities) can
be ironed out.

As for using tables for layout, I think that so long as there is
linearity then accessibility is not affected. I don't think there is an
accessible convention for using scripting, other than to minimise its
implications and plan as if the script can't be invoked by the user agent.

Andy