Re: tree view in xforms

Hello Mark,

Mark Birbeck ha scritto:
> Stefano,
>
> Whilst it's not impossible to define a tree view that will work on (for
> example) both a voice system and on a screen, it's not as easy as people
> think. As you say, it's easier to define a tree view for a GUI-based system,

Both Vodafone and Enel (power supply company in Italy), just to mention two but I am sure there are many others, provide voice interfaces to their customers and non via telephone.

Those interfaces seem to deal with tree-like navigation menus pretty well.

Could you please elaborate a little more on what the specific problems are?

Do GUI-based systems, for which such a requirement is considered so obvious, trivial and granted, need to wait until the multimodal issues are solved? Is this what multimodal means? I thought it meant "generic enough so that it doesn't really matter how you render/implement it thus allowing you to get away with it just fine even without knowing in advance what the actual UI will be".

But then again I agree this is not so easy to integrate with the existing XForms spec.

> but as you know XForms is about multimodal user interfaces, so we really do
> need to get this right.

It is great news to me to hear that the WG is working on it as this doesn't seem to be among the XForms 1.1 requirements.

Is it? Can you say if it will be for 2.0 or 1.2?

> I couldn't say whether this is where the solution will eventually come from,
> but interestingly, coping with the recursive nature of such trees becomes
> easier when using XBL.

It would be very interesting and useful to see some examples or further elaboration about this.

Thanks, ciao
ste