Re: Java Server Faces

One of the obvious answers is that in the same way JSF can generate HTML
forms, JSF can (could) generate XForms. But this is kind of a poor man's
integration between the two technologies.

The truth in my mind is that there is a lot of overlap between XForms
and JSF: both have a data model (JavaBeans vs. XML documents), an event
model (declarative vs. Java-based), an XML syntax, controls, etc. I
think most people will go one way or another, and not try that much to
integrate the two at this point. Maybe this will make more sense when
(if) XForms becomes mainstream on the client.

Where I believe XForms shines is:

o Its declarative event model which is extremely powerful in spite of
its relative simplicity. I believe that a huge task of evangelism of
this aspect of XForms remains ahead: few people have understood the
impact by XForms events.

o Its XML-based submission model, which is a perfect fit for more and
more service-oriented apps (think within the enterprise, of course, but
also the public Google, Amazon, Flicker, etc. APIs). The XForms
submission model allows achieving the best separation between the
user-facing interface and services underlying the UI.

o It is a "standard" and relies or suggests relying on other W3C
standards (XML Events, XML Schema, XHTML, CSS, etc.), which means that
it makes perfect sense within the web ecosystem.

o It is cross-platform and language-agnostic, unlike ASP .NET, JSF, etc.
There is no need to learn Java to program in XForms!

-Erik