RE: Defining the action attribute for submitInfo

Leigh/Carryl,

Leigh wrote:
> display of the user interfaces for the various forms instead of using
> submission to the server.

That may work in some situations, but the general problem is that many
protocols require a URL to be set at run-time. For example, with Atom, you
can establish the first URL that gives you a list of articles (such as your
blog entries), but then to edit or delete each item, you need to interact
with a specific URL that is specified in the instance data. Another example
is that salesforce.com asks you to log on, and then returns an end-point
that is to be used in all further exchanges.

I believe this type of use to be a fundamental requirement for XForms if it
is to be able to do useful work with SOAP, Atom, WebDAV and other protocols,
and as Roland said, this is something that we hope to add in the future.

In the meantime, formsPlayer now supports the use of xf:extension within
xf:submission to allow *all* aspects of submission to be set from instance
data (headers, URLs, methods, and so on). This should allow people to
experiment with various protocols, and hopefully, through this
experimentation we can work out what exactly we need to define in the spec.

The new features are available in version 1.1 of formsPlayer, and a sample
that connects to Blogger.com using the Atom API is available on our home
page.

Mark Birbeck
CEO
x-port.net Ltd.