Re: Submission implementation questions

John Boyer <JBoyer <at> PureEdge.com> writes:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> 1) Because it is a single-node binding, tThe first-node rule is used to obtain
the first node if the ref (or
> bind) refers to multiple nodes.
>
> The instance that gets replaced is the one from which the submitted instance
is drawn (although we are
> adding to 1.1 the ability to target another instance than the source as the
one to replace).

> Also, regarding instance replacement, I believe we have an erratum coming to
say that instance
> replacement is followed by rebuild, recalculate, revalidate, refresh and not
model-construct.

> We have another erratum coming which says that validation of the instance data
should occur over the
> instance subtree pruned of non-relevant nodes.
>
> 2) If the body section is there, then it is used.  If the data doesn't parse
into an XML document, then you get
> the same behavior as if you had attempted to read the same file using instance
with an src attribute.  So, I'd
> expect a link exception.  This is a bit drastic since processing stops with a
fatal error, but the fact
> remains that this was a success case, so the application designer does have
some responsibility to return
> usable data if he wrote replace="instance".  If he doesn't want to use the
returned data, write replace="none".

> 3) To show a problem to the user, the form author writes an
xforms-submit-error.  We are working in 1.1 to
> provide more event context information to the event handler.
>
> Hope this helps a bit.
>
> Cheers,
> John Boyer

Thanks for your replies.  They were really helpful.  Still have one question,
though.  How do we determine what the "body" is in a response?  In section 11.1
item #5 of the spec, when it refers to "body", does it mean http body?  From
what I can tell, all 1xx, 204 and 304 responses don't have a body and all other
replace="all" attribute on a submission and I get back an http response of 200
with an empty body, should we handle that just like a browser and leave the form
showing?  If the http response body is a jpeg, show the jpeg?  Since the spec
doesn't spell out that it means the http body, we just want to make sure that is
what is being referenced and not something like HTML <body>.

Thanks again for your help,
--Aaron