RE: WWW2004 XForms Talk Slides by Steven Pemberton Now Online

Hi Gerald,

I think your response below shows you have substituted
"the W3C leading the web to its full potential" with
"the W3C leading web browsers to their full potential."

Given the number of W3C member companies that are
NOT browser vendors, this seems curious.
Why should the W3C only support the advancement of the
software produced by only those few members?

To me, this seems the opposite of the goal of leading
the web to its full potential.  The goal is to
maximize software interoperability, maintainability
and ease of design.  In the case of XForms, these goals
are accomplished by having the same XML syntax for the
core processing model and data schema of XFDL forms,
XHTML forms, VoiceXML forms, mobile forms, etc.

Also, on the notion of polling, this is an activity
that is usually done in a scientific manner, i.e.
the target population is rigorously identified,
determined to be sufficiently informed on the subject,
and most importantly, randomly sampled (or completely
sampled).  The things you are running which you are
calling polls do not have these properties.  Therefore,
it is a stretch to claim that they are a *good* way of
finding out anything.

Finally, regarding the relevance of XForms, there is not
a feature of XForms that is not in PureEdge's XFDL, which
we invented in the 90's because HTML forms simply weren't
good enough to solve 'real' problems.  Making XFDL a skin
for XForms has been a simple matter of switching vocabularies
to achieve the same effects (while continuing to allow the
value-adds of XFDL shine through).

Therefore, I think it would be fair to say that XForms draws
some relevance from that of XFDL, which has an install base
in the millions at enterprise-level sites, some of which are
listed at http://www.pureedge.com/customers/

John Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Product Architect and Research Scientist
PureEdge Solutions Inc.