RE: Is editing of literal XML supported using XForms?

Hi Daniel,

We want to be able to use an XForms processor as an XML editor, but that is not
what Gary asked about, i.e. the requirement you quoted is not the answer for him.

We want an XML file to be able to carry an association to an (XForms model + host
language document) so that clicking the XML data file, for example, launches the
host document/XForms processor.  We then want normal XForms 1.0 processing to
occur, e.g. editing the XML with the XForm.  So, the controls continue to edit
atomic data units within the XML (text nodes) and actions like insert and delete
continue to be the mechanism for structural change within the data.

Then, when the XML data is to be submitted (possibly to file), then we want the
processor to preserve the association mechanism when the XML data is serialized.
This will allow the resulting file to be clicked again, for example, with the
result being that the newer data is reloaded into the same XForm.

There's no plan right now for 1.1 to have a new form controls that could bind to
a subtree root and allow modifications of its hierarchic content.  It's not that
it isn't a good idea, but it causes a lot of trouble in the processing model because
right now we assume that form controls modify text content only and don't make
structural changes.

We associate structural changes with a rebuild of the master dependency digraph,
and we didn't want to rebuild every time the user makes a change and tabs out of a
form control.

Cheers,
John Boyer