Re: Microsoft and XForms

Dharmesh Mistry wrote:

> Yesterday I was at the Microsoft Conf where Bill Gates previewed Longhorn
> the next version of windows.
>
> When the architects behind Avalon presented this component a question was
> raised about supporting UI standards such as XForms. The answer was at this
> stage MS needed to provide more than the standards offered, so they were
> going ahead with using XAML (XML Application Markup Language).
>
> My interpretation to this is MS is not going to support XForms unless there
> is a benefit to them, rather than for the benefits of the standard.
>
> Does this group agree? If so what does it mean for XForms?

Most people won't support something unless there is a benefit to them.
I'm not sure there is a benefit to Microsoft in supporting XForms, but
I'm pretty sure there is no benefit to Microsoft in pre-announcing
support for XForms; it would just distract from their message. If XForms
gets to be wildly popular, MS will probably support it, because they can
afford to do everything.

As for the second question, MS doesn't support Java or Haskell. What
does it mean for them?

What XForms people should really be asking themselves is, what
requirements are XAML et al supporting that XForms isn't, and vice versa?

Bob Foster
http://xmlbuddy.com/