RE: XForms - Secure or Insecure?

Bryan,

> Care to expand on your xforms / Atom project?  This is
> something that I have also been working on.

Good news - perhaps we should find a way of sharing work. Open source
XForms-based Atom editor, anyone?

> One of my goals
> is to recommend some XForms 1.1 requirements based on this
> effort.  As it stands, I find that I need to extend XForms in
> a few ways.  E.g., support for DELETE, but also support for
> Location headers.

That's definitely worth doing. The ones I've spotted so far, are:

* as you say, specifying any header you want is fundamental - it's needed
for SOAP 1.0 (but not 1.1), WebDAV and the security headers in Atom;

* you also need to be able to control the method (WebDAV and Atom, for
example);

* you need to be able to submit to a URL that comes from the instance data,
and not hard-coded in the form. Atom needs this (as I'm sure you know), but
so do the SOAP interfaces to ASP services like Salesforce.com (they get you
to log on, and then pass you back a URL to navigate to once you are
authenticated).

We've actually added all of these features to formsPlayer, but we've done it
for now via the xf:extension element under xf:submission. Once the spec
supports them, then we'll just use whatever syntax is finally decided on. It
shouldn't mean much of a change to any forms, since the features will be the
same.

Mark Birbeck
CEO
x-port.net Ltd.