Re: Brendan Eich (Mozilla Chief Architect) on the optional W3C XForms addon for Mozilla

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Gerald Bauer wrote:

<snip>
>    What's your take on it? Do you want to see W3C
> XForms support builtin or is a one-click
> download-and-install optional package good enough? Any
> thoughts? Any comments?

Well from my perspective it is good enough, we've been looking to use
XForms for intranet like things (because I'm not involved in external web
development and because we can't force the user to use XForms then I've
never looked into using it for that) but I don't understand why they are
taking that stance.

Effectively a group is fully implementing a web standard that, since it is
namespaced, shouldn't conflict with anything else, requires a few other
standards that might come in handy in a browser anyway (XML Events,
Schema) and they are saying that they don't see a future in having it as
part of the core. I'd say "if it is there, put it in" in the same way that
if they had a complete SVG implementation (which people are working on)
then I think that should also become part of the main build.

Gary