Re: [XForms] Re: Will Internet Explorer support XForms

Karandikar,

Karandikar, Shailesh wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> I have to agree with you that model used by Infopath is quite useful.
>
> Besides legal/security issues, I would classify 'forms' market into
> enterprise and internet. Standards compliance is necessary for internet
> class of applications. For enterprise apps, the focus is more on business
> logic, workflows, end-user conveniences, efficient manipulation of remote
> and local data, multiple views of the same data, compatibility with other
> applications such emails, word processing, etc. In other words, rich client
> functionality is desirable.
>
> There is an overlap between the two, but, as it stands now, I don't believe
> XForms completely qualify being a rich client (although its a smart
> client!). Comparing the two, Infopath styled applications may be more
> suitable for enterprises. However, the principles embodied in XForms could
> be (and might have been used in Infopath) used in wider context and not only
> limited to browsers.
very good point. the discussion often cycles too much around the
question of IE or not and browsers in general and disregards the
device-independence of XForms. -

i don't see any reason why an XForms Model shouldn't/couldn't be
connected to rich client compoments and e.g. drive a Swing GUI.

Joern Turner