RE: Question

John wrote:
> That being said, I don't see an overwhelming need for Microsoft to ever
> provide direct support for XForms because they already provide cool
> technologies for others to insert custom technologies for which they are
> experts.

I agree with John, which is perhaps not surprising given that we produce a
plug-in for IE 6. Looking at the quality of the MathML plug-in from Design
Science and the SVG plug-ins from Adobe and Corel you can see that these are
the 'components' of the web of the future - and they are not integrated into
IE.

I would also suggest that there is actually no point in adopting the
approach of 'waiting for the major browsers'. This always seems to become a
discussion point whenever a new technology comes along. But taking this
approach means you are always waiting, since W3C, OASIS, IETF and others
don't stand still, and not even Microsoft can keep up with all of the useful
standards that are coming out.

We are all debating about whether IE will include XForms, because that is
our interest, but other lists are debating whether IE will have MathML, SVG,
XML encryption and signature, DOM 3, XHTML 2.0, DOM 3 XPath, CC/PP, and so
on! That's a lot of work, just to stand still.

> but many people choose to add the PDF control to their system because it
> is a very good document presentment technology.

Again you are right - your argument is proved by Flash and the SVG plug-ins.
I think people will download a plug-in that gives them real value, and web
designers will use plug-ins if it makes their sites better and easier to
build.

Mark

Mark Birbeck
Co-author Professional XML and