From: m b [mailto:Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 3:29 PM
To: Borgrink, Susan
Cc: 'Oliver Scholz '; 'www-forms@w3.org '
Subject: RE: xforms for inhomogenous collections

Susan,

> Mark was pointing you in the right direction ...

I was, but now you're taking people in the wrong one ;-)

> ... the relevant attribute is used within the bind element rather
> than the in form control.  However, what may not have been evident
> before and what may help to tie some of this all together is that
> the relevant attribute is inheritable. Therefore, whatever is a
> child of the group element would be tied to its relevance.

It wasn't evident because it isn't true. You are mixing up two things - the
UI and the model. All descendants of 'page[1]' in the instance data would
indeed be disabled if 'page[1]' was disabled (provided that they themselves
didn't have a @relevant rule that overrode this), and that is what the spec
means when it says that @relevant is inheritable. But that has nothing to do
with the descendants of xf:group.

You can only affect the descendents of xf:group with CSS - which is what my
example was showing. You wrote:

> As Mark's example showed:

> <xforms:group ref="page[1]">
>   <h2><xforms:output ref="@title" /></h2>
>   I'm the first page ...
> </xforms:group>
>
> the output would be tied to the parent goup element.

but the reason the xf:output gets hidden is because the CSS style on
xf:group is automatically set to 'display: none;' when the node that the
xf:group is bound to becomes disabled - as determined by the rule in the
@relevant model item property. This means that any markup inside the
xf:group will be hidden, but we need to be clear that this is thanks to CSS,
and not the XForms model.

Mark Birbeck
CEO and CTO
x-port.net Ltd.