Re: Idea for securityfix in HTML

His idea isn't so bad as all that.  Many servers use MD5 to store their
passwords and thus you can use it to compare passwords, which is all
that is needed for simple password authentication.  Why bother?  Because
sometimes people run small sites but do not have the wherewithal,
technical knowledge, or control of the server necessary to use an https
server.  However, you can use JavaScript to accomplish this deed if you
are interested.

I run a project that does a user authentication / session management and
is meant to be used in multiple environments, and doing this in
JavaScript is on the todo list because this need does exist.

The main point against this is, HTML is dead :)  An MD5 encryption
function in XPath is something worth considering, though, so that it
could be used in XForms (you could use a calculate node).  I think it
would be a bad idea to make it an attribute on the <secret> element,
however--data manipulation like that belongs in the functional language.

--John Keiser