Re: Beginner

Hello Filipponi,

there are good beginning xform articles at
http://www.xml.com/search/index.ncsp?sp-q=xforms

i might misinterpret of your  idea of 'connecting xform and xml files'

in a nutshell

a) xforms specifies an input form, susch as an HTML web form....

b) xforms will 'connect' the current input with an 'in-memory' instance
model of xml ( this is not done by magic, the xforms compatible software has
to do this; look at Mozquito or Xsmiles implementation ); one could achieve
this by using javascript or some in browser scripting to hold the current
value of all fields in an xml valid format...... but in general it will be
expected that a particular browser will be xforms compliant.... so u don't
have to write the 'implementation of the spec'.

c) the xform implementation must be able to recieve/send the current xml to
a server via POST ( and there is some debate about the use of GET at the
moment ) so the forms instance data a la XML can update a database or xml
repository; or possibly a SOAP service.

d) xforms uses/integrates various other w3 technologies, such as XLink,
XPath, XHTML, XML Schema,. XML Events,  to perform various other tasks such
as validation, handle actions, etc.....

simply u must rely on someone else to implement an XForms 'browser' ( it is
rumored that Netscape/Mozilla will have this soon ) or 'write' your
own......i would suggest reading the current draft
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xforms-20020118/

so i would suggest, before writing your own implementation to review the
articles i have set out here, and to use XSmiles or Mozquito implementations
to get a feel for writing XForms definitions....then if u want to create
your own XForms processor u should be armed with the right knowledge.

good luck,  jim fuller