RE: XForms datatypes

Greetings,

1. xforms:listitems is useful for simpleContent lists, where the instance
would look like:

<my:flavours>chocolate vanilla strawberry</my:flavours>

In many cases, it's better to use markup to distinguish items in the list,
but if you need it all in one place, listitems is it.

2. Datatypes are a part of validation. For a node to be considered 'valid',
it has to satisfy any facets attached.

3. Derived types aren't treated specially. Exactly as defined in XML Schema
part 2.
(For your example, a union of positiveInteger and negativeInteger, allowable
values would be any integer but zero)
It's also possible to get carried away with restriction, and have a datatype
that has an empty set for the allowed value space, and would thus never be
valid from XForms viewpoint.
We don't recommend doing this. :-)

4. The schema "lexical space", including pattern restrictions, applies to
the XML instance data. The form control is expected to present this to the
user in whatever way makes sense.

So, it would be a poor implementation indeed that forced users to type
2002-07-23 for a date, instead of (say) a graphical calendar control.

Thanks,

.micah