Re: XForms Reusability / Modularization (was RE: XForms WD 200208 21 - 2.1 XForms and XHTML etc)

first, sorry if i've pointed out things that already have been clear to
you, but i got the impression (please correct me) that the idea of 'one
form for every platform' has already been given up or is considered hard
or not to achieve with the current spec.

i absolutely agree with the thoughts about model usage - this is
platform neutral and therefore is not problematic.

but, to take your example below, what happens if you've to change the
order or add/delete UI controls ? does this mean that you've to change
all four UI versions of the form ?

i think this avoidable if one tweaks interpretation of the current
official proposals a bit: if one interprets XForms UI as a meta language
you can provide a mapping between XForms and every platform you want to
support. this mapping has to be done only once for each platform. so,
what finally is left to do is to write a layout for each platform. as
you've correctly pointed out this is a logical requirement if you 'want
full control over the presentation'.

so, analogous to your statement about models i would say: it is not
necessary to change all four files if you want to change the logic of
the UI.

Joern