RE: absolute/relative ref and model-ref 'inheritance'

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Micah Dubinko wrote:
> As Jérôme pointed out, this is an invalid XForms Model by the latest draft.

Didn't notice that change in the new draft, sorry. Good decision.

> (Note that this example, like your original, cheats on namespaces.
> Normally the XForms elements and the instance elements would be in
> different namespaces)

Ah, I have a problem there you see. I'm implementing an XForms to HTML
XSLT so in order for namespaces in the XForms to work they also need to be
present in the XSL (which is meant to be generic), and have the same
namespace prefixes (for the needed evaluate() to work)...

The following would be valid (not cheating), right?

  <xforms:model>
    <xforms:instance>
      <data/>
    </xforms:instance>
  </xforms:model>

> <input ref="instance('project')">
>   <label>Project name</label>
> </input>
> and

Where is the instance() function described? It's referred to in 7.4 but
couldn't find it anywhere else in the draft. I see it has been discussed
on this list earlier along with a model()...

> -2-
>
> An XPath context node is by necessity in a certain 'document'.
> So, yes, 'fishpond'.

Good.

> -3-
>
> Each model keeps track of its context node.
>
> <group model="mod-pond">
> is really no different than
> <group model="mod-pond" ref=".">
>
> So this example would also work as you expect, pointing to /size/depth
> for the 2nd <input> control.

Good.

If anyone could confirm these I'd be grateful:

  <xforms:instance>
    <root>
      <mom>
        <son>me</son>
      </mon>
    </root>
  </xforms>

  ref="mom/son"  => 'me'
  ref="/root/mon/son"   => 'me'
  ref="/mom/son"   => invalid

BTW, there seems to be a typo in 8.1.10: "(the value='...' attribute of
the item element)". Should be "value element".

Thanks,
-kurt.
kurt george gjerde <kurt.gjerde@intermedia.uib.no>
intermedia uib, university of bergen