Re: XForms Usefulness

In a message dated 23/08/2002 08:49:18 GMT Daylight Time, bob@objfac.com
writes:

> Recently, someone on this list asked another why they would want to use XSLT
> to translate xforms to xhtml.

Since it was I who asked the question I guess I get to put in my £0.02. :)

 I found the question astonishing (how else

> could you use xforms?) but have just gotten around to commenting.

I am sure that other list members will chime in but it is already possible to
use XForms (although possibly not the August 2002 WD yet) using, for example,
the X-Smiles browser - see http://www.x-smiles.org for further information.

You will find information on other XForms implementations which are in
development at http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/#implementations

> It seems obvious that xforms is not very useful (and won't be) until it is
> supported by the major browsers - the place where real users fill out
> forms.

This is pretty much a circular argument. If a spec isn't finished then the
"major" browsers likely won't implement it ... at that precise point in time.
Why would they? ... Think back. For example Microsoft got its fingers burned
by implementing a WD "XSL" which was then overtaken by XSLT. In MSXML3
Microsoft began the process of phasing out  Microsoft XSL by allowing their
flavour to be run side by side with real XSTL. In MSXML4, as I understand it,
only real XSLT is supported.

> I haven't seen any obvious participation on this list by major browser
> suppliers. Makes me wonder if xforms will be the next xlink.

I would be very surprised if they aren't lurking quietly on list. :) I
wouldn't necessarily expect them to show their hands publicly until they want
to make a version/product announcement.

The number of implementations already existing for XForms puts it ahead of
XLink's implementation status by some margin, although XForms is (obviously)
not yet a full W3C Recommendation.

Secondly, I think you also need to consider the possible use of XForms in
non-Web-browser situations. XForms implementations could be applied
appropriately in Intranet (does anyone still use that word?) situations where
data is stored in XML.  Data entry in XForms could be very useful. The
network across which data is passed need not be the global one.

XForms are intended for use not only on desktop browsers. I am not sure if
the 3GPP is planning to support/require XForms but they have already
indicated support for SVG Tiny, for example, so XForms support *may* be in
the pipeline. Anyone know?

> (Sorry to be negative, but serious question.)
>
> Bob

I am responding to your question as if it is a serious question.

I think there are dimensions to this which your question maybe didn't
consider.

Regards

Andrew Watt