RE: XForms UI controls customization with CSS and SVG

> From: Plechsmid Martin [mailto:Martin.Plechsmid@merlin.cz]
>
> > Could you give me some details on how do you submit the data
> > and how do you handle it on the server side? Are you using
> 'submitInfo'
> > element?
>
> Forms authors write the forms using ordinary XForms (with our private
> extensions when needed), including the submitInfo element
> (sorry, I forgot
> to include one into the sample). The XForms document is then
> transformed
> using single xslt transform into ordinary HTML, only a copy of each
> <xforms:instance> is created (we use the IE's <xml> tag for
> that). When the
> form is submitted, the instance data are serialized and send
> as a string to
> the server from a hidden <html:form method="POST"> element. The server
> creates an instance of a xml parser and parses this
> serialized xml. The
> resulting xml DOM is then disposable to all scripts on the
> server side.

Very interesting.
If I get it right, you are using JavaScript and IE features to create the
instance data that is posted to the server using a hidden input field on a
form?

> > Did you implement 'event's on the client side?
>
> Yes, most of them (valueChanged, etc.). The xslt transform on
> the client
> side needs to build a javascript object model of the
> <xforms:bind>s etc. in
> order to be able to effectively monitor what's going on in the form.

Are you using IE DOM model as well? How do you handle XPath expressions?

> > Are you using pure XSLT transformation for rendering?
>
> Pure XSLT on the client side for rendering, but the instance
> data are filled
> in the resulting HTML form using javascript; and the dynamic
> behaviour of
> the forms is handled by javascript.

It's like the solution implemented in Mozilla.

> > There is an effort at Cocoon project aimed to implement an
> XML-based forms
> > handling and it uses a syntax close to XForms, but some
> parts are quite
> > difficult or impossible to implement for the server-side
> processing.
>
> I thing that the whole xslt transform as we do it can be done
> on the server
> side. But the resulting HTML contains and uses lots of scripts, which
> require a powerful client computer to run on, otherwise the
> user experience
> is not good. The sample form would take about five seconds to
> initialise,
> but we haven't done any speed optimisations yet, so the delay
> will hopefully
> reduce.

Anyway, you'll end up with a very complicated JavaScript. Mozilla's JS lib
is about 60K monster (and as I know it's only the 75% of XForms spec). This
is the result of XForms spec beeing very client oriented. I think that
Cocoon's solution moves in the right direction and it's more server
oriented, although implementing most of the cool XForms features will
require also a lot of client side programming.

Thank you very much for all your answers!

Regards,
  Konstantin

P.S. Ivelin, Torsten, I think that this discussion will be interesting for
you.