RE: Do unbound binds apply?

--- Mikko Honkala <honkkis@tml.hut.fi> wrote:
> Hi Ray,
>
> the bindings in your example seem to be a little
> off. The bind elements are
> executed without knowledge of the UI.

Is that true? I thought binds received their
evaluation context based on the UI element to which
they where bound. That's why I ask the question if
binds that are not "bound" to a UI element are
processed. It seems to me that if they are processed ,
and someone writes a bind for something like ref="x"
and expect to use it nested inside of a group,
component, or repeat, it may end up being executed
even on nodes where they don't want it to.

For example, if there was a <price> type, that was
used in an instance in many different places, and
someone wrote <bind ref="price">, it would end up
being applied to *all* price nodes in the instance,
rather than the "scoped" price nodes where the bind
was referenced in a group/repeat/component.

If you want "scoped resolution" where binds declared
in the model are only executed *in scope*, it seems to
me you can't use bind unless binds are processed
explicity with respect to UI elements and never in
isolation.

Can someone clarify the exact manner in which binds
are evaluated? The processing model in the spec
doesn't make this clear.