Re: relevant and required

vaudrodr@students.hevs.ch writes:

> I don't understand the difference between "... relevant=false required=true
> ..." and "... relevant=false required=false ..." specified in the last WD.
> The difference specified in the WD is that, in the first case, "the XForms
> User Interface may indicate that should the form control become relevant, a
> value would be required". I don't know why.
>
> Rodrigue Vaudan

Rodrigue,

I think your question is a good one. Conceptually, the difference between the
two combinations of attributes is, I hope, clear.

The difficulty, I think, arises from the comment, "The XForms User Interface
may indicate that should the form control become relevant, a value would be
required.". How, even if it were sensible, can you indicate that a *hidden*
form control might become required if it were to be made relevant by some
user action? Even if you can, in what circumstances would it be relevant to
indicate such a thing?

I think that the attempt, using the sentence "The XForms User Interface may
indicate that should the form control become relevant, a value would be
required." to make the entries in the lower row of the table different from
each other is a mistake, arising from the perceived need to differentiate the
options in a table.

It is simpler, in my view, that we accept that a non-relevant form control is
hidden, whether or not it is "required". The difference in concept need not
be presented visually, as far as I can see.

My conclusion? The sentence in the table isn't "relevant". Deletion is
"required". :)

Andrew Watt