Re: Fw: XForms requirements

At 02:03 PM 3/26/2001 -0800, Bruce Atherton wrote:
<snip>
>XForms is designed for defining the UI of three-tier applications, not for
>client/server applications. Trying to shoehorn in client/server support
>would IMHO be a very Bad Thing because client-server and three-tier are
>fundamentally very different things on the client side.
>
>Some might feel that XForms is even more narrowly designed, so that it is
>only intended for browsers connecting to web applications. My hope is that
>people will recognize that there is enough overlap in design that the more
>general solution for three-tier environments can be accommodated.

Bruce, can you elaborate your definitions of client/server and three tier
in this context and explain how XFORMs can be used in the way you envision?
I'm confused by the idea that XFORMs for client server would be a Bad Thing
and yet XFORMs for web applications might be the "only" intension.

John.
John J. Barton          email:  John_Barton@hpl.hp.com
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Barton/index.htm
MS 1U-17  Hewlett-Packard Labs
1501 Page Mill Road              phone: (650)-236-2888
Palo Alto CA  94304-1126         FAX:   (650)-857-5100