RE: One more possible hole in UI?

I would prefer the first choice. I think passwords should have different
semantics than plain text fields. That would allow passwords to have further
security constraints besides what is echoed to the user. For example, in the
submission protocol, some type of encryption scheme could be added for the
password data when not using SSL or something, or access to the password
data could be restricted for client-side java scripts, etc. If you remove
the semantic notion of it being a password field, you lose this ability.

An alternative to 1) or 2) could be something like this:
3) <textbox type="password" style="echo-char: '#'">...</textbox>

What do you think?

-Kelly
--
Kelly A. Campbell                       Software Engineer
<camk@channelpoint.com>                 ChannelPoint, Inc.