RE: textbox vs. textarea

Hi Roman,

as per yesterday's telephone conference, I am temporary officially
responsible to organize the information flow between this mailing list
and the XForms Working Group. Please consider the reply given below my
personal opinion until it is confirmed by the Working Group next Monday.

To answer your question: No, there is no way to declare that a textbox
has rows=10 and cols=50. This mechanism of specifying sizes has turned
out to be inflexible to say the least. ("Unreliable" is another term
that comes to mind.) Main difficulties were charset dependencies and
internationalization concerns.

We have settled to define the size of the textbox through the usual CSS
mechaisms and the constraints (length, allowed characters etc.) in the
model. As far as I know, you can approximate the "old" effect by
specifying <textbox style="width:50ex; height:10em" ...>. Other units
(e.g. cm or %) will obviously be more reliable.
The remaining open question that we are aware of is how to specify
wrapping / non-wrapping boxes. If there is more to do or the solution is
unsatisfactory for you, please let us now.

I will confirm or correct this message around 24 July.

Josef