Re: Instance to Display/Display to Instance Lexical Mappings (was RE: Validation Error Messages)

At 02:23 AM 7/4/2001 -0400, Ryan Tomayko wrote:

>The general situation seems to be that data residing in the instance might
>require some formatting before being rendered to the display, and data
>entered by the user might need to take some other form before being placed
>into the instance. In more complex terms, the lexical space of a model
>defined type may need expanded, or redefined, to allow for different literal
>values targeting the display.

Ryan followed up with a series of examples like hex<->int.  These
seem easy enough to handle in the client, but their inclusion in their
many kinds will continue the seemingly boundless expansion of resource
requirements for client.

As an alternative, consider examples that are structurally similar
but seemingly too complex to require in clients, such as forms that
require JPEG inputs but clients only have PDF, GIF, or some such.
So maybe you don't care about these, but it does show that the line
will have to be drawn somewhere arbitrarily. (E. Kiciman at Stanford
has work on automatic concatenation of transformations for such
conversions).

Thus the alternative: explore a solution that is server centric or
rather that is based on content-negotiation.  The form says "give me
a number between 0-255, like 0xFF".  The client says "14".  The server
says "hmmm...ok I understand decimal to hex, thank you", or it says
"huh? whatzat?".  This kind of approach allows attempted fill-in for
more kinds of clients and expansion of capabilities on either end of
the wire.

John.
John J. Barton          email:  John_Barton@hpl.hp.com
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Barton/index.htm
MS 1U-17  Hewlett-Packard Labs
1501 Page Mill Road              phone: (650)-236-2888
Palo Alto CA  94304-1126         FAX:   (650)-857-5100