Re: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG1 comments about RELAX NG schemas for XForms 1.1

Klotz, Leigh wrote:

>     * Improper usage of ^ in regular expression
>
> In the upcoming draft, I find only one pattern which begins with "^", namely the one you list.
> Does this mean we should do this?
>   (xsd:NMTOKEN - (xsd:NMTOKEN { pattern = "xforms-.*" }))
> If so, please let us know.

Yes
>     * Misuse of combine="interleave" (&= in compact syntax)
>
>     The use of &= is recommended only when you combine different
>     define statements in different schema modules. Moreover the XForms
>     schema does not need to use combine as there are no multiple
>     occurences of the same named pattern.
>
>     &= should be changed to = in compact syntax, and combine="interleave"
>     should be removed from XML version of the schema.
>
> Host language integration add content to these patterns.  When we publish the sample host language integration, would your group be so kind as to re-examine this comment and see if we are then using &= correctly?

It is completely OK to use &= in customizations (or as you say host
language integration).

>     * Change IDREF datatype to token
>     As there are no attributes with type ID defined in the schema there is
>     nothing to which IDREF can point. This wíll result in unresolved
>     references during validation.
>
> The burden is on host language integration to declare ID attributes. If XForms declared @id to be xsd:ID, it might conflict with a similar definition in the host language.  Or, if the host language each used a different attribute for ID, then there would be two possible attributes for declaring ID, again an unfortunate situation.
>
> I should note that xml:id was first proposed by Stevem Pemberton on November 1, 2002 at an XForms Face-to-Face meeting at Netscape in San
> Diego, precisely for the purpose of solving this issue. Unfortunately, RelaxNG does not properly handle xml:id (see
> http://blog.jclark.com/2009/01/relax-ng-and-xmlid.html ) and so we are unable to rely on it here.

I know. Therefore I think it is better not to use ID/IDREF in RELAX NG
completely. When doing host integration one can decide whether to
redefine types of certain attributes to ID/IDREF or use completely
different mechanism for reference checking.

    Jirka