Re: XForms CR - 8.1.3

Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net writes:

> Andrew,
>
> > ... a random but small number of characters is displayed on screen
> > for each character entered at the keyboard.
>
> That's always assuming that the form is being rendered 'on screen', and the
> user is actually using a keyboard.
>
> It seems to me it's a very specific addition to be made to something that
> should be aiming for device independence. If you really wanted such a
> thing,
> then the best place would be CSS.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Mark,

Chapter 8.1.3 of the CR is pretty much focussed on the on-screen situation as
it is currently drafted. My suggestion was that the on-screen use of the <
xforms:secret> element might be usefully enhanced.

Secondly, it isn't immediately clear to me how your proposal might be
implemented in CSS.

Perhaps I am having imagination failure here but can you clarify how <
xforms:secret> might be used in a non-screen situation?

Maybe it is simply my iconoclastic imagination but I find it really amusing
to think of a voice-based browser using <xforms:secret> urgently whispering
"Sh! Don't speak so loud, someone might hear the password you have just
spoken!". :)

If you are speaking your password to a voice-based browser surely <
xforms:secret> isn't particularly secure or relevant? Or did you have other
non-screen-based scenarios in mind?

I am copying this to www-forms-editor@w3.org with a view to the WG providing
some clarification in a future draft of the specification on the use of <
xforms:secret> in non-screen-based scenarios.

> Mark Birbeck
> Co-author Professional XML,
> and Professional XML Meta Data,
> both by Wrox Press