Re: XForms CR - 6.1.3/6.1.4 - Catch 22 Interaction?

roland_merrick@uk.ibm.com writes:

> Greetings, what you describe is the intention. e.g. I will only insist on
> knowing the name of you first born if you have indicated that you have one.
>

> i.e. <firstBornName> is specified as required.
>
> however, it also has a relevant clause which is dependent on another
> element e.g. <hasChild/ >.
>
>     <firstBornName/>
>     <hasChild/>
>
> <bind nodeset="firstBornName" required="true" relevant="hasChild = 1" />
>
> If <hasChild> is false, <firstBornName> is irrelevant and is not submitted.
>

> Regards, Roland
>

> AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
> Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org 13/11/2002 15:52
>

>         To:        www-forms@w3.org, www-forms-editor@w3.org,
> Xforms@yahoogroups.com
>         cc:
>         Subject:        XForms CR - 6.1.3/6.1.4 - Catch 22 Interaction?
>

> It seems to me that there is a potential problem for the user of a form if
> it
> is possible for required="true()" and relevant="false()" to co-exist. In
> that
> scenario the table at the end of 6.1.4 indicates that the required by
> non-relevant form control would likely be inaccessible to the user (unless
> he
> had diagnostic powers which it is probably unreasonable to expect).
>
> As I read the CR it would not be possible to submit the form because
> required="true()" and the data hasn't been entered and it might not be
> possible to access the required form control because relevant="false()".
>
> Hopefully such a situation would occur rarely, but wouldn't it be better to
> ensure that it cannot happen? It seems to me that it might be better if
> there
> were a rule which indicated that a piece of data which is not relevant
> cannot
> be required.
>
> Andrew Watt

Roland,

The first part of 6.1.3 reads, "Description: describes whether a value is
required before the instance data is submitted.".

Your comment seems to indicate that it was intended to read something
different.

I suggest that some redrafting is needed.

Andrew Watt