RE: Potential Last Call comment to be resent to www-forms-editor@ w3.org

Hello David,

The www-forms-editor list is specifically for Last Call comments.
The www-forms list is for general discussion.

To answer your original question:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2002Jan/0172.html

>I think that the data is expected to be generated dynamically on the server
and the listdata values are hardcoded into the xForm definition.

That's one way to do it, but not the only way. The <itemset> tag allows a
list to be populated at run-time, from instance data (which can come from
any URI).

>Is there any way of defining an external client side data source for
dropdown list to prevent server side processing, or was that considered and
discarded?

Well, XForms doesn't define anything about data sources (understandably, I
hope!). We do define the interface: XML instance data. Any source, client or
server, that can make data available as XML addressed by a URI could be
used. For interoperability, we are requiring HTTP support ("http://" URIs),
with other schemes (e.g. "file://") possible and expected.

I hope this answers your question. Thanks!

.micah

Last