Re: KEEPING SERVER LOAD AVERAGES DOWN

Hi Clement,

My concern in the scenario you propose is that the demand will still be out
there on the net waiting.  You are not addressing the demand, just the rate
at which you deal with it.

When server load gets too high, I want to stop receiving www4mail requests
but I still want to receive other mail.   If it were possible, when server
load is over a given point, for Sendmail to respond with an error message
(similar to JUNK mail filtering) saying "Sorry www4mail server too busy,
please try again later" but only for www4mail requests.  Otherwise, the
mail request will still be out there and will retry and retry.   Could a
rule to do something like that could be hacked together?  Certainly,
Sendmail can detect server load and it can also do spam rejections based on
Email addresses.  Now, if only there were some way to put them together.

-Steve

At 11:46 AM 99/03/15 , www-email-discuss-request@w3.org wrote:

>Dear,
>
>After much thinking and tweaking of sendmail configurations.
>
>I am considering adding some code to www4mail for checking the system load
>average.
>
>It will work in two parts,
>If the load average is above 4 or something similar the process just
>sleeps (it checks every 2 minutes and if the load average is still up
>after 5 hours then it exits with error 75).
>
>If the load average is over 7 then exit immediately with error code 75. It
>appears that if a program exits with error 75, sendmail will just retry
>during the next queue run. At least on sendmail 8.9.3 this is the error
>code for temporary failures.
>
>I would like to  received your comments on the above.
>
>Clement Onime

Steve Song <ssong@idrc.ca>
Unganisha (Connectivity) Project <http://www.idrc.ca/unganisha>
International Development Research Centre
P.O. Box 8500, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1G 3H9
Tel. +1 613 236 6163 x2268  Fax +1 613 567 7748