XACML - Extensible Access Control Markup Language

----- Forwarded message from Larry Gussin <ldgussin@home.com> -----

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:14:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Larry Gussin" <ldgussin@home.com>
To: <www-drm@w3.org>
Subject: [Moderator Action] XACML - Extensible Access Control Markup Language

Hi,

I worked at Intertrust for some years, and so am familiar with DRM concepts. I note XACML, which was begun at IBM and announced today by OASIS as a technical committee, as another form of XML-based rights language, growing out of enterprise access control practices: http://xml.coverpages.org/XACML-PR20010424.html. The XACML web page: http://xml.coverpages.org/xacl.html.

>From the press release:
"XACML will define the representation for rules that specify the who, what, when and how of information access," explained Simon Y. Blackwell of Psoom, chair of the OASIS XACML Technical Committee. "Access control, which is often called 'rights management' or 'entitlement management,' determines who can look at something, what they can do with it, the type of device they can look at it on, etc."

I'd appreciate hearing how this effort might fit in.

Larry Gussin

----- End forwarded message -----