Re: XPath API start

Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:
> In the XSLT WG, in our explorations for a standard extensions interface,
> there has been some talk of some minimal interfaces for Nodes, lists, and
> trees, that do not use the DOM interfaces.  While I'm not necessarily
> advocating this approach, it is a thought that an XPath API could exist
> that doesn't take DOM nodes as arguments, which would open the door to
> using XPath with other tree structures besides the DOM (since the DOM has
> become so hard and expensive to implement).  I'm not trying to start
> trouble, only stating that we should be open to various possibilities.

Defining a lightweight DOM of DOM Level 2 core is in the scope of the DOM
WG/IG/Public. Even if there is a need for a "core of the core", I think that
this is outside the scope of this mailing list. Proposals are always welcome
on the DOM public mailing list but don't expect anything for DOM Level 3. Our
list of issues for DOM Level 3 is already full. This is unfortunate but the DOM
WG can't address all requests. Our goals for DOM Level 3 are defined in
the requirements document :
 http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Requirements/
As usual, comments on our requirements are always welcome.

Philippe
--
Philippe Le Hegaret - http://www.w3.org/People/LeHegaret/
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), DOM Activity Lead