Re: [dom-xpath] XPath or? (was RE: Announcing www-dom-xpath@w3.org)

Jonathan Robie <Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com> wrote:
> There's an important coordination issue here - perhaps the API should
> belong to the Query WG eventually, perhaps to the DOM WG....I'm not sure
> where this fits best. I'd like to see it somewhere in the W3C.

This is really my point.  I would like to see a Schema API be defined by
the Schema WG, a Transformation API (and perhaps Serialization API) defined
by the XSLT group, a Query API defined by the Query WG, an XPointer/XLink
API defined by the XLink WG, a Parser API by the XML WG, etc.  And the DOM
WG should begin to act as a coordination body for these different efforts.
This would allow them to do their work on "core" functionality better,
would allow the feature APIs to be fully developed by the experts, and the
modularity would allow bad APIs to die gracefully if they are not-so-good.
And this would also allow most of the APIs I named above to take into
account SAX as well as the DOM (SAX and DOM should not be competing... they
should be complementary).

-scott