Re: [dom-xpath] XPath or? (was RE: Announcing www-dom-xpath@w3.org)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_Boag@lotus.com>
To: <www-dom-xpath@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 1:34 PM
Subject: [dom-xpath] XPath or? (was RE: Announcing www-dom-xpath@w3.org)

> If it's an
> XML Query API, it's way early to be discussing this.

Yes, but XPath is the closest thing we have to a standard query language for
XML, people need to do queries on XML documents, so why not an XPath API?

> I would really *not* like to see something like getNodes(XPath expression)
> as a method on Node

Good, let's get the discussion going!  This is more or less what Microsoft
supports as a DOM extension, people use it all the time, it seemed like a
good starting point for a proposed standard API.  Why don't you want to see
this in the standard DOM?  It's an optional module, so it won't contribute
to "bloat" (and anyway, one person's bloat is another's core feature).

So, what is wrong with the proposal

   NodeList getNodesByXPath(DOMString xpathExpression)

as a standard DOM method?

The objections I've heard are:

- The result shouldn't be a NodeList
- We should allow other query languages than XPath

Discussion?