DOM 2 Core test issues (was Re: DOMImplementation.hasFeature and 'Core', 'XML' and '1.0'.)

> Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:11:19 -0500
> From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
> To: Martijn Pieters <mj@digicool.com>
> Cc: www-dom@w3.org
> Subject: Re: DOMImplementation.hasFeature and 'Core', 'XML' and '1.0'.
>
> Martijn Pieters wrote:
>> So, should a DOM level 2 implementation return true on hasFeature('Core',
>> '1.0) or hasFeature('XML', '1.0')? I *think* it should, but would like to
>> hear confirmation.
>
> The definition of version '1.0' is driven by the DOM Level 1 specification.
> The DOM Level 2 specification doesn't say anything about
> hasFeature('Core', '1.0') and I don't think it has to, given that you can't
> expect a DOM Level 1 implementation to return true.
> hasFeature('XML', '1.0') must definitively return true for a DOM Level 2
> implementation since DOM Level 2 is build on top of DOM Level 1.
>
> Philippe

Redirecting a reply to www-dom-ts since I am raising a DOM 2 Core Test Suite
issue (in response to a message over two years old!).

I tried searching the archives, and this is the most recent relevant
reference I could find to the question of whether it is correct for the test
suite to test hasFeature("Core","1.0").

I don't think the DOM 2 Core Test Suite should be performing that check,
since no DOM 1 Core implementation could be required to return true for that
since "Core" wasn't added as a feature flag until DOM 2.

The following tests in the DOM 2 Core Test Suite appear to make that
assumption however, and thus should be fixed to not expect
hasFeature("Core","1.0") to return a meaningful value.

 isSupported03.html
 isSupported08.html
 isSupported12.html

Thanks,

Tantek

Tantek Çelik                                         tantek@cs.stanford.edu
Tasman Development Lead, Microsoft Corporation        tantekc@microsoft.com
Representative to W3C CSS and HTML working groups