Re: Should Node.getChildNodes return Text of Attr?

Min Lee writes:
 > For the following XML:
 >
 >   <?xml version='1.0'?><foo f='100'></foo>
 >
 > when getChildNodes() is called on the root element, different
 > implementations of DOM return NodeList of different length.
 >
 > Xerces2-J and Crimson return a NodeList which contains 1 Text node of value
 > "100"

I can't imagine why they'd do this; attributes are not children of the
element node, and their children certainly are not.  This strikes me
as a bug in Xerces2-J and Crimson.

 > This could be a problem if one's doing a comparison between two DOM
 > implementations.  Unfortunately, this case is not covered by the current
 > DOM-TS, and I couldn't find anything on DOM spec.  What should be the
 > correct haviour?

A comprehensive test suite is *incredibly* hard to write.  ;-(  I wish
I had more time to participate in the DOM-TS efforts.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation